Tuesday, September 22, 2009

This Makes Sense


Picture for picture sake, not necessarily relevance.

No sarcasm in the title there for once:

This article is about the movie District 9 that came out earlier this summer. It deals with a specific subject that left me, and many others scratching their heads as they left the theater. If you haven't seen the movie yet, Nigerians are portrayed in the movie incredibly poorly. They completely make up a gang population within District 9, practicing voodoo, prostitution, and weapons smuggling among other things.

The most that I personally know about Nigeria is that it's not the best place, although I have to admit I'm not in anyway necessarily educated or an expert on Nigeria. But still the portrayal of this country and their people in this movie did serve to shock me. Here is a map of Africa:


District 9 takes place in South Africa, while Nigeria is way the fuck up on the western coast there. To me this was the biggest head scratcher, as why would you seemingly go out of your way to involve Nigerians in the film in such a negative light? I mean in the most plain and simple terms to me at least they're going out of their way here.

In the end District 9 was a pretty good movie, so whatever I can't say I wasn't entertained by it. But good for these people for standing up for themselves. Like I said I really don't know much at all about this country, but if they can stand up and turn themselves around during Bonus Time then good for them.

And on a side note this is the first post that I used the 'lightning guns' tag on where it was actually somewhat relevant. That's a first for the Bonus blog, and probably the last time I'll use that tag as a result.

No comments: